There is a restaurant in New York called ABC Kitchen which serves the best Squash Toast in the world. It is so rich in flavor and has the best consistency ever. I love it so much that I ate it almost every when I was living in New York. Unfortunately, it’s not vegan and it was about time to create a vegan version of this absolutely amazing toast.
Everyone I made this for loved it and I am sure you will too. You can also prepare the squash mixture a day in advance and have it ready to spread on the toast. This is a great way to serve it for friends and family without being stuck in the kitchen.
It is basically toasted country bread, layered with a bit of coconut yoghurt and topped with a delicious mix of roasted squash, caramelized onions and a hit of maple syrup. The combination of the cold coconut yoghurt with the sweet tasting squash is sooooo good you are going to die for it. Sorry if I am a little over excited right now but I really love it that much!! 🙂 Here is what you need:
INGREDIENTS (serves around 4 toasts)
1 Butternut squash or Kabocha Squash
2 yellow Onions, thinly sliced
3 table spoons Maple Syrup
3 table spoons Apple Cider Vinegar
olive oil / salt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200 degree C. Cut the Squash into 2 cm thick prices and place it on a baking sheet. Put in the oven for about 15 min, till it looks nice and slightly coloured.
- Stir the onions in a non sticky pan for about 15 min until they are soft and golden brown. Add the vinegar and maple syrup and let it simmer for another 15 min until it turns into a jammy mixture.
- Add the squash and the onion mixture into a bowl and smash with a fork until combined.
- Toast the 1-2 cm thick Sourdough slices. I prefer to toast it in the oven as it is too thick for a toaster.
- Spread some coconut yoghurt on the crispy baked bread and add the squash mixture.
- Sprinkle some mint on top and sea salt if desired.
Enjoy 🙂 Tag me in your creations @carolinedeisler